Sunday, September 13, 2009

Maybe Tomorrow...

One evening sometime in the beginning of this year, I was excitedly telling my dear Papili (as I fondly call my father) all about an adventurous excursion I'd recently undertaken with a few of my friends. When my unremitting chatter momentarily subsided as I paused for a breath, my father quickly took the opportunity to advise me to start a blog.
"What's that?" was my first question. "What for?" was the next, rapidly followed by "But how? What'll I write? Will I be able to write well enough? Will you help me start?" And so on. It was my lack of self confidence that set me against the idea of starting a blog. But the idea was alluring (as are all things to do with writing) and it went around coaxing every part of my mind until -- here I am, unable to do any homework as long I haven't written at least something!

I seldom write because I'm perpetually afraid of not fulfilling my high expectations, and at the same time I worry about others' opinions, much as I hate to admit it. Even now, it's the thrill of starting this blog that's driving me to write, and even as I write I'm happily surprised at myself.

My father suggested I begin by putting up a few of my poems. I now think it's a good idea, but I don't want to keep basking in past glory. I yearn to create, and this blog is to ensure that I keep writing... well, at least once a month, for a start. So I've decided to follow the excellent advice my Russian art teacher once gave me when, as a result of a whole afternoon's struggle to sculpt a nose with a paintbrush, I was feeling terribly frustrated:
"Be happy, peaceful, and try, try and try! We never know when the right tints will come. Cezanne would say: 'Today I didn't manage. Maybe tomorrow...' "

They say tomorrow never comes so I've begun write now, however awful my work might seem to me, for who knows? ...If tomorrow does come, I might perhaps be just a wee bit closer to awesome!!! ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Way to go Kun! Now follow it up with some writing...and once a month?! You have gotta do better than that - once a week is a frequency that will better reflect your sincerity and dedication for this gift of expressions you hope to cultivate. Believe me, its in there, somewhere - the power to inspire men with your pen(keyboard)! All the best...looking forward to the next post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! I'm starting from the beginning! Love it. I'm gonna jump to the poems soon enough... :)

    ReplyDelete